It doesn't happen very often, but at least once or twice each summer my dad pulls out the ice cream maker and the family enjoys a batch of homemade vanilla ice cream.
If we are lucky, Mom makes up a batch of Granny's hot fudge sauce to go on top.
When I saw that Indiana Dairy is giving away a Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Maker Stand Mixer Attachment to wrap up June Dairy Month, I knew I had to blog about it. Click here to find out how to enter but hurry, the giveaway ends June 30!
Since Dad hasn't whipped up a batch yet this year (I have high hopes for July 4th), I thought I'd just give my 5 favorite things about homemade ice cream:
5. The sound of the motor as it churns and churns.
4. The distinct flavor of homemade ice cream. I haven't found it replicated in the store freezers yet.
3. The brain freeze I ALWAYS get from the first bite because it's so much colder than store-bought ice cream.
2. The hot fudge, whipped cream, cookie crumbles, candy toppings...
1. The fight with my sisters, nephews and dad to clean off the beater when it's pulled out of a freshly made canister of ice cream!
Who wants some ice cream?